Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Stuck in the Drought

        Life is a funny thing. Some mornings you wake up and feel refreshed, awake and alive. Like you just jumped in the salty aqua ocean water and went for a swim. You hop out of bed with a lively bounce in your step and feel like you can take on the world by yourself. That nothing and no one can stop you. You’re positive and bubbly and ready for something better the lies beyond the wood of your front door. 
But then other days you can barely open your eyes when your alarm rings out in the morning. The sun coming in the dirty glass window is blinding and horrific. You wish there could be darkness for a little longer. You pull your covers over your head to blind out the light and seep down into your box spring hoping your parents won’t notice your not getting up for a dreadful day at school. 

       As teenagers we feel so many emotions. Its the years of our lives when we are the most insecure,  and unsure about anything and everything. Some say high school is a “roller coaster of emotions” but I think its just a living hell. The growing kids who supposedly need 8-10 hours of sleep, are working their butts off into the wee hours of night for school and getting up before the sun even peeks it’s head over the rolling hills. Thats the problem, people just expect things and for us to preform perfectly when it’s basically impossible. You adults try it again for four years and see how you feel in the end. It’s not  like it used to be when you were growing up. Now it is a never ending cycle of the same high standards you can’t seem to meet and daily routine. The only change is your attitude. 

       If you have not noticed by now, the past few weeks I’ve kind of been in that mind set I talked about in the second paragraph. Not even wanting to see the light of the day, let alone try to find it. I have no idea why though. Maybe its because I am still getting over a cold so I’m tired and the fact that the weather has been absolutely disgusting the past few days. In Colorado when it won’t snow in winter you’ll find that its not freezing cold nor hot. It stays in this awkward stage of haze where its literally just depressing. Cloudy skies and brown grass. I’m done with it. I need sunny sand or a snowflake wonderland; neither of which I can obtain right now. When I decide where I’m going to college wether is going to be a huge factor. I’ll go somewhere with the ocean and warmth to bring out my sunny joyful personality otherwise it gets hidden by the clouds. But since I’m stuck here all I need are the little things. A healthy breakfast to start my day, lots of water to keep me feeling replenished in this dry land; a positive and out going attitude at school otherwise my day will drag on for hours. Things like that to keep me on my toes so that the next day I will wake up with that bounce in my step and a smile on my lips. 

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree. I live in the middle of the desert in Cali and the weather is just always awful in winter. It's neither bright and sunny nor snowy and magical. It lingers in this middle stage of grey, cloudy skies and biting cold, still air. I feel like my energy is being slowly drained all winter long. Luckily, I'm a senior, and I'm going to college next year. I'm headed to the beach where I can study under sunny skies and enjoy breezy nights. It sounds like bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really love when you do posts like these!! keep them up!!!

    ReplyDelete